Network Tasman Trust was created as a result of the 1990s government restructuring of the electricity industry.
The Government proposed legislation that would require all power authorities to be run as separate companies (legislation that would become known as the Energy Companies Act 1992). The Tasman Energy directors took the view that the community should not lose control, so in 1992 they recommended that establishment of a customer trust, which would hold all the new company shares on behalf of consumers. Following community consultation, a trust was established 30 April 1993 to represent the interests of consumers and ensure an appropriate distribution to those consumers of the benefits of that shareholding.
Network Tasman Trust holds all the shares in Network Tasman Limited on behalf of its consumers. Network Tasman Limited covers the area from Lewis Pass in the South to Kahurangi Point in the North West and Grahams Point in the North East with the exception of the portion of Nelson City that falls within the pre 1940 city boundaries.
Tasman Energy Limited was renamed Network Tasman Limited in 1998 and the trust was renamed the Network Tasman Trust to reflect the new company name.